Tuesday 1 June 2010

Tuesday!!!!




Its been a long time since I got on here....plenty to say! Friday morning is always training day where the Life Skills Educators and the volunteers come together to receive the teaching for the next week and have some fellowship together! After a long session with a very strict upper class English speaking, English acting and English disciplining lady (!!) we had some lunch. The afternoon was much better.

A team called Fusion, who run community events, came and taught their curriculum that we will run in Redhill in a few weeks time. We played a number of games and learnt new crafts such as facepainting, balloon modeling and circus skills. I can now officially use a diablo and spin plates: 'very good stuart', I hear you say.

Saturday most of the volunteers went to Stellenbosch, vineyard country to the North East of Cape Town. We did a number of vineyard tours and also enjoyed cheese and chocolate tasting. It was a great time of fellowship together and enjoyed by all! Best was the opportunity to spend time with the locals there and speak with them.

Sunday morning saw a great service at King of Kings focusing on the Holy Spirit and missions followed by a trip to the waterfront with Mzo (who had never been before), Des (a local from Masi) and Al (who works in Redhill with me). We had a wonderful time together, a real boys afternoon out, and will definitely do it again.
Hillsong was good in the evening and my pasta bake for 10 later on was even better.

So, although this is starting to sound like a record of what exactly has been done in the last few days.....this gets us to yesterday!

Monday monday, so good to me. It was! I spent much of the morning hunting down cardboard to use for a craft during our world cup schedule. I went to the massive supermarkets and jumped into their mega skips and was throwing cardboard over the side into my pickup, when I realised someone on the other side was throwing it in! Having chucked some back their way they shouted in confusion and I jumped on to the side wall to explain that I wanted the cardboard in the car if possible, could they put it there. Needless to say they were somewhat confused as to why some 'mluongo (white boy)' was in the cardboard skip. I eventually got a full car load of the cardboard.

In the afternoon Mzo and the others ran kids club in Redhill whilst I worked through the finance/budget work with a support group in a nearby house. It was hard work as my Xhosa is not great and they kept asking for clarification, but by the end of the session we had covered the material and they had seen what I was trying to do. By showing the people what exactly they spend their money on each month, they can visualise what it is that means they don't have enough funds come the 30th/31st. It has been a great blessing to many people so far so I pray it will continue to be.

It continues to be great and there is much in the pipeline for the next few weeks that Im sure you will hear about soon!

As for now God Bless and speak soon

Stu!

No comments:

Post a Comment